An Ode To... The Talented Mr. Whishaw




Ode

a lyric poem usually marked by exaltation of feeling and style, varying length of line, and complexity of stanza forms 

  • e.g. Keats's ode "To a Nightingale"



    • It seems appropriate that the subject of our very first "An Ode To..." post be Ben Whishaw, who so memorably played John Keats in Jane Campion's swoony romance Bright Star. With these "Ode" posts, we'll be celebrating performers, artists, and creators that infatuate us, obsess us, and cause us to read their entire back catalogue in the space of a week/binge-watch their filmography/fly to faraway places just to see them onstage. Or maybe that's just me.

      Although I've been watching Ben Whishaw in different projects for around 15 years now, my current Ben fandom started when our very own brie, Sam, turned me on to 00Q fanfic (that's James Bond/Q for the uninitiated.) And it was his performance as Q in Skyfall, and later films like Suffragette and The Lobster, that made me really appreciate what a complex and meticulous performer he is.

      At the beginning of his career, Ben specialized in the sort of delicate, sensitive, not-of-this-world characters that some actors might have been forever typecast in. This quality of his became part of his allure and mystery, both as a person and as an actor. He can evoke emotion with incredible deftness, so much so that you don't ever see him "acting" so much as "being", even when he's reciting Shakespeare. His Richard II is the greatest modern interpretation of that part and the moment we reached Peak Whishaw.

      But starting with the rebellious, heartbreaking Freddie Lyons in The Hour TV series, another side of Ben came out to play: steel. And that's when I really started to pay attention. You see it in his Q, who, despite verbal jousts with Bond, is always in control and well aware that he is leagues smarter than the secret agent. You see it in Suffragette, where he plays an abusive husband. And you see it in The Lobster, where he plays--you almost can't believe it--a lad. Mr. Toxic Masculinity in a brush cut and cheap-fitting suit.

      Ben is one of those rare actors who can do anything: hero, villain, rebel, pacifist, straight, gay, period, contemporary. He's equally convincing behind a computer terminal spouting jargon as in a doublet reciting poetry. Right now, he's on stage in London as harried idealist professor Brutus in Julius Caesar, which National Theatre Live is broadcasting in cinemas around the world. If you have a chance to see it, go!

      Ben Whishaw's characters appear unassuming at first. Shy and fragile, even. But if you let him, he'll get under your skin.

      Best work: Richard II (The Hollow Crown, series 1), The Hour, Skyfall
      Currently in: Julius Caesar (NT Live)
      Upcoming: A Very British Scandal, Mary Poppins Returns
      Would Love to See Him Play: Iago in Othello

      Comments

      1. I think it was The Hour , a programme I came to via my love of Romola Garai that made me appreciate Ben Wishaw, and it remains for me his best TV, but I've seen him in the theatre 3 (soon to be 4) times, and his stage presence is electric. He played Dionysus in Bakkhai , which I saw with my 16 year old daughter, and we were both mesemerised and I'd say that to date it's my favourite performance of his. Apart from Paddington, both films I like a lot !

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Can't wait for you to see Caesar. You may have a new fave. Would have loved to see Bakkai and also Mojo.

          Delete
        2. No word on Paddington though !

          Delete
      2. Proud as punch to have introduced you to 00q

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. The pleasure, as they say, was all mine.

          Delete
      3. Oh, I approve of this! He's a gorgeous actor.

        I've been meaning to watch Lilting for a long time but I've not got round to it - I need to be in a certain mood for it, and probably on my own https://youtu.be/I8HhLd07fYY

        Also, he's completely the muse for a major character in my current WIP, not the MC but a VIP.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Ooh, you'll have to tell me which one when it comes out! And I haven't seen Lilting, thanks! Too bad we can't watch it together. Though I know what you mean about being in the mood.

          Delete
        2. maybe we should schedule a film club thing!

          Delete

      Post a Comment

      Popular Posts