Urban Rambles: Jean-Talon Market

I'm not one for shopping, except when it comes to bookstores or markets. There are two major markets in Montreal, Jean-Talon and Atwater. I live closer to Atwater, so I can often be found perusing its stalls, but on this rare holiday Friday, a friend and I made the trek to Little Italy with one mission: zeppole. From the finest Italian bakery in the city, no less.














A good half-hour wait on this Good Friday brought us to the counter at Alati Caserta, and the rows upon rows of cannoli, sfogliatelle, amaretti, and biscotti. And, of course, our beloved zeppole, with a choice of traditional or al forno. Zeppole are made every year for the Italian holiday of San Giuseppe, technically on March 19th, but here in North American it usually extends till Easter. I got two of the al forno, stuffed with ricotta creme and powdered with icing sugar, and two types of sfogliatelle, pistachio and nutella.












Then it was a short walk to Jean-Talon market, where dozens of artisans sold their wares, from fresh produce to cured meats, fish, coffees, teas, spices--a foodie wonderland.

The apples looked as ripe as if they were fresh from the fall harvest. (left)

There were desserts aplenty, but the most French of delicacies, macarons, caught my eye. (right)








 My fellow Cheesemongers will probably ooh and ahh at the display to the left, a counter that specialized in ewe cheeses. I got a fresh, grassy chevre-like round.

And of course, it wouldn't be a Canadian market without at least 10 maple syrup vendors, in all colors and consistencies. I picked up a bottle for my Easter pancakes, and to make vinaigrettes and savory spice rubs.

If you're ever in Montreal, don't miss the best kind of shopping and noshing in Little Italy and the Jean-Talon market!

Comments

  1. Selina that looks so interesting, much bigger than a lot of the ones I go to, I wish when I was in Montreal that I knew about this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one angle is only a quarter of the indoor market, and then there are other shops surrounding the building and outdoor stalls in the summertime, so, yes, about five city blocks. But I feel the same way about Borough Market. I'd lived in London for a year and a half and been back countless times, and I only heard of it last time I went.

      Delete
  2. This looks tremendous. Really must go to Montreal. Those apples are so pretty. I'm heading to a food market tomorrow so there may be another of these posts appearing very soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I would love to see what the Scots have to offer. I hope you do come to Montreal! All of you! Canadian writers retreat in the making?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts