Into Every Generation... A Fan's Thoughts on the Buffy Reboot





The show Buffy the Vampire Slayer saved my life. It may sound ridiculous—no TV show can affect a person's life to that degree. And that's probably true. "You've got to want to change," et cetera, after all. But consider this: Through Buffy, I met two of my best friends in the world, found my voice as a writer, found a people after having been severely bullied most of my life, gained the courage to pursue my dream of studying in the UK (still the best year ever), and, as John Irving wrote, kept passing the open windows at a very vulnerable time in my teen years. It's no exaggeration to say that if there hadn't been a Buffy, there might not be a me.

So when I read the headline this morning that a showrunner and a team of producers have been contracted to reboot Buffy, my initial reaction was unadulterated rage. Because nope. Even with how problematic Joss Whedon has become, his personal issues don't negate the incredible work that the entire team of writers, directors, crew, and actors put out for seven stellar seasons. (Yes, seven. Don't @ me.) Even the very valid criticisms of the show that have been brought up in hindsight don't change the effect it had on me personally. Or the quality of the show itself, really. No work of art is perfect; it's made to be dissected, and each generation will have a different perspective on something with this kind of longevity.

But I digress. After reading the headline, I tweeted out my anger, read some of what my friends and others had to say, learned the details of the deal, and... had a little think.

I deleted that tweet.

Most of us can agree that this whole reboot phenomenon needs to die. I will never be in favor of a reboot over original work, preferably by #ownvoices creatives who desperately need the visibility. And the cynic in me recognizes that the motivation for these reboots from the studio point of view is that they are known properties with a built-in audience, whereas something new is just that, and therefore a potential failure. Basically, most decisions in Hollywood get made in the hopes that the person making them doesn't get fired. Such a great place to start from, am I right?

That said... One of my favorite shows of all time is Battlestar Galactica. The "new" one, i.e. the reboot of the '70s not-so-classic, re-imagined and vastly improved by the creative genius of Ronald D. Moore and his team.

This Buffy reboot is going to have an African-American slayer and a diverse cast, and is going to be showrun by Monica Owusu-Breen, a black woman who has worked for Whedon in the past. I can't preach diversity from one side of my mouth and condemn this decision with the other. She absolutely deserves her shot at making something great. Young women of all ages and ethnicities deserve to have their Buffy moment, like I did.

Joss Whedon and the original producing team will receive executive producer credits. Not to get too inside baseball, but they likely won't have anything to do with the day to day production of the show. Whedon might advise a bit, but he won't be writing or directing. Also, this was probably done so as not to disrespect the original team and make sure they get a small percentage of the profits, since the new show would be capitalizing on their work.

In terms of the other Whedon problem, when it was announced the other day that Joss would be writing/directing a new show called The Nevers, I remember thinking that if he really wanted to redeem himself in the public eye, he would shepherd some #ownvoices creators instead of playing mastermind. I do still think this is a good idea, now that it's a reality, and I hope it turns out that Monica Owusu-Breen benefits from their collaboration.

Various scandals in the geek community, from Gamer Gate to the Star Wars truthers' fanbabying, have made me think long and hard about the kind of geek I want to be. Do I want to be the kind of whiny, ornery, delusional geek who insists there's a Snyder cut of Justice League and self-finances a re-edit of The Last Jedi to make it "pure"? (Just typing that last sentence made me want to hurl.) That's a resounding "no." It would be hypocritical of me to condemn this reboot while also criticizing that kind of toxic fandom.

So welcome to the Buffyverse, whatever lucky actress gets cast as the chosen one. You've got some serious shoes to fill, but I know you got this. And to Ms. Owusu-Breen, do us proud, make it your own, and stack the cast with all the POC and LGBTQ+ characters of your dreams.

Because this generation of girls will need Buffy more than ever. That's a truth no one can deny.

(And now I'm crying.)

Selina

Comments

  1. Here's a not-so-fun fact.
    I am a Buffy refusenik.

    Whaaat? I can almost hear you all screaming it.

    I never watched Buffy. Okay, let me clarify that a little. I have never watched the Buffy series (other than an occasional episode because it just happened to be on in the background). When it first arrived on our screens I was horrified. Horrified that someone somewhere had decided to do a remake.

    Yes, Buffy - the one with SMG, Whedon, et al - is a remake.

    It is a remake of a wonderful movie. A movie that is a pastiche on the teen horror genre. A movie that is quite awful in its own ways. And if you haven't seen this movie then you need to go rectify this mistake immediately.

    So I'm truly not as concerned about a remake of a remake as some geeks are. But I do expect the next iteration of this tale to be different from the last, to have all the wonderful things in it that Selina mentions.

    And now I know which movie I will be watching this Saturday night (it is available on iTunes, so go get it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, of course Buffy isn't for everyone, so please continue your refusenik status. Love it.

      Small correction, though. The movie, which I've seen, was written by Joss Whedon. And because it was film, it got taken out of his hands by the director and the studio, and made into something that was nothing like he intended. So, when he had the chance to rectify this through a TV deal he struck with Warner Brothers, he did. And thus the series was born. So I don't really consider the series a remake, since it's the same person who conceived of the world and just got a second chance to do it his way. Or, if you want to quibble, which I am, the way it was always intended to be.

      That said, the movie has its charms, from what I recall, chiefly in the form of Paul Reubens. :D

      Delete
    2. I'm always happy to be corrected.
      I'm not such a Whedonite that I've paid that much attention to the off screen dealings.

      I mainly liked the movie for the young (non 90210) Luke Perry. Although Paul Reubens is hilarious in it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for processing all of that for me. When I saw your FB post, my immediate reaction was....uh oh. But your logic is solid, and I hope this new project is a resounding success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, well, my first reaction, as mentioned, was rage. But I acted like a mature adult, for once, and thought it through. ;)

      Delete
  3. I have reasonably fond memories of Buffy. It was on fairly earlyish on Friday evenings and was the start to me and my husb's favourite TV night of the week (back when (a) we were first living together and not married and (b) I actually watched much TV). We didn't always see it - only on those Fridays we weren't in AB1 doing TFIF drinks - so yes, I missed a fair few episodes but I saw a fair few too. I too wish new Buffyites well; especially since, these days, I don't seem to have the ability to commit to whole TV series

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts