Urban Rambles


I have lived in South East London since I was 11, I made brief forays to West London, and a brief stint in East London but South of the river with it's lack of tubes is my home.

At least every month at the weekend I will venture out to a food market or try somewhere new to eat with the proviso that it's in SE London and accessible by public transport.This weekend I went to Brockley Market in Lewisham.

It's a small market, with a lovely selection of fruit + veg, meat, coffees, ready to eat stuff and of course cheese -I got some delicious Mahon, which is soft Majorcan cheese and one of my all time favourites. (the picture above is the cheese stall)

Walking back to the train station we came across an unusual use for an old phone box, there was actually someone in it, so we didn't get to see what books were available - but I am so going back to both the market and the phone box library.



But what a great idea, and I wondered if these are anywhere else ? I think I've seen pictures of some roadside library's in the US ?

Comments

  1. I think my cheese education starts here. I'm ready to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hit reply too soon then lost m'wifi (I have had a beer and two wines don't ask). i just love so many things about this post - I adore urban rambles (they are my favourite kinds of rambles) and that phone box is wonderful and also cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Allan being ready to learn cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love markets, and won't ever forget my little ramble to Borough Market before meeting you for dinner a few years ago! (And not being able to sample too much of the food because of the aforementioned dinner, which is still one of my all-time great food experiences... and now I want cheesecake.)

    We have book sharing boxes here. It's such a great initiative. But having one in London phone boxes is so wonderfully literary and extra! Adore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allan, what kind of cheeses do you like ? Sharp ? creamy ?
    And anything that encourages more reading is good I think, there is lovely book exchange/ cafe near where I work that's always full of kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like a whole muddle of cheeses. I like them hard and sharp, or soft, spreadable and creamy, and I like the ones that don't look like they taste. I need to know what to look out for though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we need a cheese expert here ..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts