Playlist -- Classic Canadian Love Songs



Music is the art form that has the most profound effect on memory. A song can evoke a place, a person, a feeling; it can plunge you into yourself; it can take you home. And even though you might gain a different perspective on the music you enjoyed as a teenager as you get older, more often than not it retains a special place in your heart.

Lately, I've been doing a deep dive--or maybe deep regression is a better term--into Canadian rock songs from the late '80s/early '90s, i.e. my teen years. I'm a die hard rock and roll fan--if it has a guitar, I'm probably into it--and Canada, especially at that time, was a rock nation. But we also love our power ballads, our folk influences, and a few '80s synths made it in there too. 

It fascinates me that the biggest Canadian music exports nowadays are hip-hop and R&B acts like Drake, The Weeknd, and Alessia Cara. Which is not to say Canada doesn't have a long history in those genres as well. But when I was young, the local stations played Blue Rodeo, The Tragically Hip, Alannah Myles, the Cowboy Junkies, and fueled the decades-long rivalry between Bryan Adams and Corey Hart.

So I thought I'd share a playlist of Classic Canadian Love Songs. These are mellow and melancholy tunes that bring me back to a very specific time and place, that remind me of teenage adventures and heartaches. I hope they speak to you too.


Comments

  1. I am listening to this as I type, but just pausing a moment to thank you for re-introducing me to the absolute joy that is Heaven by Bryan Adams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slight cheese factor to that song because it's been covered to death, but I just love the original so very much. And it just brings me right back to lying on my bed, simpering over my latest crush and singing into my hairbrush circa 1985.

      Delete
  2. I’ve copied these down - thank for sharing. Love Sarah McLachlan’s voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many great voices here. Margo Timmins is a treasure, so mellow and sweet.

      Delete
  3. i love these themed playlists. Will be listening to this on my walk to work tomorrow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts