Simple pleasures - Falafel



The philosophical post's that Jo has been writing have reminded me of the simple things that make me happy.

Making and eating falafel is one of these, especially eating them with family and friends, the smell of falafel cooking takes me back to living in Israel, and the taste of them - crispy, light, fragrant with spices makes everything right (even if this is temporary I'll take it).

Making falafel is incredibly easy, I can take no credit for the recipe, it comes from my favourite Middle Eastern restaurant Honey & Co.

Start by soaking 125g of chick peas over night. You cannot make falafel from tinned chick peas - anyone who tells you this is Wrong.

Then in a food processor blitz an onion, then add the drained chickpeas (uncooked) and blitz until you have a nubbly, clumpy mixture - it should come together to form a ball easily. Add : 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tbsp each of ground cumin and ground cinnamon, a pinch of white pepper and same of salt, 2 tbsp of gram flour (plain does work, but gram flour gives a better taste) and 1 1 1/4 tsp of baking powder. The recipe used sesame seeds as well, but I hate them, so don't (if you want to add 2 tbsp). Usually I mix the dry ingredients into the food processor, as it saves on washing up.
Form into balls, about 12-14 walnut sized ones.
They must be fried, again baked falafel just NO.
I use a small pan, and fry them 4 at a time, you can't really re use the oil so using less oil and cooking in batches makes more sense.
Drain
Eat, I serve them with yoghurt with a little salt and paprika, and some very chilled rose wine.

I'd love to hear what other peoples simple pleasures are, food related or not.


Comments

  1. I have never made my own before, but now that you've provided a tried and tested (and low washing up) recipe I'll give it a go. Maybe next weekend.

    I'll report back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that low washing up should have a recipe category all of its own

      Delete
  2. Had some broccoli falafel last summer and they were a game -changer. These sound divine.

    Simple pleasures: cheese on toast or Montreal bagel, Chai latte, spaghetti bolognese, walking my dog on a sunny spring day, also her smell and the silk of her fur, a willow tree, a good pun or bon mot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broccoli falafel -tell me more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had it at a restaurant, so there's not much to tell... I think they replaced the chic peas with broccoli. It had this amazing tzaziki-like yogurt sauce. Just unreal.

      Delete
    2. I often mix yoghurt and tahini to make a sauce for falafel, but generally I'm not a fan of making falafael with veg as they can be very solid. But I do love broccoli

      Delete
  4. These look awesome. I'm going to try this. Love the accompanying with rose idea too. And so much yes, to simple pleasures and appreciating them 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. even on holiday you're joining in, what a star !

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts