Blast From The Past: the confectionary edition



We're all about sharing the joy of what we love now, here at Bury The Cheese, but we also like to remember the things we used to love long ago. So, in today's Blast from the Past post, here's some of the confectionary we used to love and deeply miss.

Jo: First pick is the Nutty bar by Rowntrees, which I have a very old memory of. I remember my mum buying me one in the Co-Op at the top of the road from where we lived when I was about 5. I distinctly remember eating it on that day, though I also know I ate them other times too, before they finally stopped making them sometime in the (early?) 1980s. The Nutty was basically a cylinder of fudge completely covered in peanuts. The correct way to consume this sweetie was to painstakingly remove each and every peanut, then play with the fudge like it was Plasticine till it went somewhat grey. Then to eat the fudge. The wrapper was clear brown with orange writing which meant you could press the used wrapper over your eyes and pretend you were wearing sunglasses. And look at the photo: four pence! Four pee! Ermagerd! As the mother of son with a peanut allergy, I cannot regret the demise of the Nutty, but I cherish that long ago memory.


Karen: Spangles encapsulate sweets of my youth. So sweet, so artificial in both taste and colour. Plus their name was in the same font I would write my name and class on my pencil case and exercise books.

Two way to eat, crunch them down into glassy shards that stuck into, and probably caused. cavities or - and this worked especially well with the black ones, suck and leave until your tongue and teeth were coloured.

Then there was the mystery flavour in the mixed fruit pack with cocktail glasses on the wrapper, which I would twirl and turn into a ring.



Sam: I've had to think long and hard about this question because most of the sweets I ate as a child are still about. The problem is? Due to my perpetual dieting I just haven't eaten them. Caramacs, Kit Kats, Twixs, Twirls and the rest. If I am going to lament the loss of one particular chocolate though it's Snaps. Those badboys I could clean off a whole tube in one sitting. It's probably why I need to diet...

Jo: You had to mention Cadbury's didn't you... Ok, I'm pulling in this bad boy wildcard. I used to think I dreamed this and then I discovered my very early memories of it were actually real. It was the Milk Tray bar, a chocolate bar consisting of Milk Tray chocolates held together by chocolate. A box of chocolates in the form of a bar! I wasn't old enough to get one myself but I remember my mum buying one when I was about four and me begging for the strawberry cream.

Ah, things were so much simpler then...



Comments

  1. I love this post, and I wonder if other countries have the same level of nostalgia ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you think we seem to have more confectionary than other countries?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts