Cover versions: Angel Eyes

I'm kind of obsessed with cover versions. Especially cover versions that bring something new to the party. That make you think about the original song in a completely different way.

I adore this queered (and hugely improved) version of ABBA's classic, Angel Eyes, by the Czars. I have adored John Grant (then lead singer of the Czars) for many a long year. To the extent that - if forced to name my favourite singer of all time - it would be him.

I may be a little bit in love with him...

You may comment if it is to agree that this is perfect.  :-D

If interested, you can view the original ABBA version here. It's too frantic musically for my taste, but if I ever decide to write a f/f story about singers in the 1970s, I will be revisiting that video.


Comments

  1. Obviously I agree about JG !
    The Czars version changes the whole tone of the song, from upbeat and as you say a bit frantic, to haunting.
    I think my favourite cover is Heartbeats by Jose Gonzalez though

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment is to agree that this is in fact perfect.

    The Czars do some wonderful covers that pop up on my Spotify playlists from time to time and I always love them.

    Although I'm going to go and have a think about my favourite cover.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts